Any help with a helicopter simulator?
Adam Courchesne
2004-11-15 20:42:05 UTC
I'm taking a class in OpenGL and my final poject is comming up. I'd
like to do a helicopter simulator but would like some help getting
started. Is there anyone out there that already has working code that
they would like to share?
Class policy is that any code that is not mine must be credited to the
original author, so rest assured I won't take credit for someone
else's code.

ANY help would be apreciated.
Thanks guys!
-Adam
Johnson, Erik USA
2004-11-15 21:48:37 UTC
If you're feeling adventurous, you could pour through the source code of
"Enemy Engaged: Comanche Hokum". Lots of different rotor craft - lots
of C source code. It would be an interesting experiment converting this
to ODE.

http://liberatedgames.org/gamelisting.php
Michael Rauh
2004-11-15 22:27:17 UTC
There's a neat RC helicopter sim using ODE at
http://home.zonnet.nl/blacksphere2/rcsim.html (i think its author was
reading the list too). Though imo the sources are not available, you
surely can get some ideas from there.

Greets
Michael
Ville Ranki
2004-11-16 12:08:38 UTC
Post by Adam Courchesne
I'm taking a class in OpenGL and my final poject is comming up. I'd
like to do a helicopter simulator but would like some help getting
started. Is there anyone out there that already has working code that
they would like to share?
Class policy is that any code that is not mine must be credited to the
original author, so rest assured I won't take credit for someone
else's code.
ANY help would be apreciated.
Thanks guys!
Well, i'm currently writing a component based physics model for
OpenBirds.
It's in early stage and not yet available anywhere. I have for
example built a simple plane with plates and sphere and it flies and
is controllable.

OB:
<http://arcade.ton.tut.fi/openbirds/>

Here's a UML of my component model:

Testing program with a glider:

You could create a rotor component and use it with existing components
to create a helicopter. I can send you the sources if you want but
it'll be LGPL so i want any additions back..
--
-- Ville Ranki
***@tut.fi 040-757 2533
http://www.vip.fi/~cosmo/
Adam Moravanszky
2004-11-16 14:36:21 UTC
OpenBirds? Thats a bit of an unfortunate name, it reminds me of
dissections in biology class. ;-)

--Adam
<http://www.cs.tut.fi/~ranki/flyflap/Component_model.png>
<http://arcade.ton.tut.fi/tiedostot/pm_screenshot_15_10_04.png>
h***@gmx.at
2004-11-16 15:52:11 UTC
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 06:21:53 +0100
To: Adam Courchesne <***@gmail.com>
From: "***@gmx.at" <***@gmx.at>
Subject: Re: [ODE] Any help with a helicopter simulator?
Post by Adam Courchesne
I'm taking a class in OpenGL and my final poject is comming up. I'd
like to do a helicopter simulator but would like some help getting
started. Is there anyone out there that already has working code that
they would like to share?
Class policy is that any code that is not mine must be credited to the
original author, so rest assured I won't take credit for someone
else's code.
ANY help would be apreciated.
Thanks guys!
-Adam
Hi :)

The Combat Simulator Project (CSP) is an open-source community united by the common interest in combat simulator development. We are developing standards, technologies, code libraries, tools and artwork that can be used to build a wide variety of real-time combat simulators. Our ultimate goal is to realize concurrent and networked cross-platform simulation of large-scale multi-vehicle combat scenarios.

CSP is open for all to join. We invite everyone with interest in simulators and simulator development to support, join, or in any way participate and contribute to this project.

code: https://www.zerobar.net/csp/
site: http://csp.sourceforge.net/
do not hesitate to post in the forum http://csp.sourceforge.net/forum/ about your plan :)

Kind regards